Category Archives: Holmes Card Workshop

Holmes Card Workshop – See it Work!

It has been a while since I looked at this, because I get distracted, and there are also times when other things need my attention.  However, this has been in the back of my mind for a while, so I took another look at it. This is where I am right now. The application will take an MPO file, split it up, and create a Holmes Card type image from it. It will also take an image with both left and right images side by side, and split that in two as well, so images from real film cameras can be brought in.

But It’s All Wrong!

Actually, what brought me back to this was the niggle that really this should be working at the document level. Making it work on documents would allow me to (eventually) get it to save the file for future loading and editing. So I’ve started on that. I realised that I had made some fundamental mistakes which need sorting out too, so more time has been spent on getting that fixed than anything else.

Right now, I have something that is part way to what you see in the video. This time, you can create a new document in a new tab and work on that. It’s now possible to have more than one card being worked on at once. I have a few more things to add in – the selectors at the bottom for cards, shapes and filters aren’t there yet, as well as finish up the existing image controls to the right. Once that’s done, I can think about saving and loading, which I expect will be a Google-busting marathon of searching and reading.

Holmes Card Workshop – UI Refinements

Feeling rather pleased with this today. I’ve been doing some UI refinements, most of which has needed work in the background which haven’t really had much front-facing action. However, the screen shot shows what’s been achieved.

Most importantly (for me), the selections for the various card settings has been moved from sheets that appear to a carousel kind of selection at the bottom of the window. It’s now a case of scrolling and clicking, and the result is shown instantly. Importantly, for me, is that the filters selection uses the image the user is working on, rather than a dummy image. This also reflects the zoom setting as well. In fact, any of the image control options will also feed into these filters, so the user always sees a quick view of what the main image will look like. I’m rather pleased I managed to do this. Again, I’m thinking “this will be really hard to do” and surprising myself that, in most cases I just need make a small adjustment to existing code.

I’ve also been playing the Core Image filters to make more effects. Not too sure if I like the results yet, but I’m sure I can refine them.

Still not even thought about the “save this as a document” option yet – but I do feel that needs to happen. I’ll need to hit Google a lot of that, I think.

Holmes Card Workshop – New UI

I bit the bullet. After some thought, I decided that it was better to present the options in a pane below the card preview, rather than have the slide over and back. The reduces the number of mouse clicks from three to one to see the result of the chosen option. This brings it into line with the controls to the right which are as instant as I can make them. A much better experience, I believe.

Next – clean up the presentation of the thumbnails (they all have to occupy the same vertical space now), remove some buttons and look at what happens when the window is resized (which isn’t great at the moment).

Continuing with Holmes Card Workshop

Things have moved on a bit since the last post on this subject. The first thing that is noticeable is that it looks much more like a proper application. The tools to the right are lined up better, and when the window is resized, the window’s contents don”t completely fall apart!

Continue reading Continuing with Holmes Card Workshop